Monday, October 10, 2011

Whoopie pies with peanut butter filling





My heart sank when last weekend at the central business district (CBD) of Melbourne I found myself in an abandon unit space which was once the cul-de-sac  of my favorite book store, Reader's Feast. My favourite 20-year old book shop has decided to close shop until further notice. In fact this is not the first time nor the first bookstore to do so in the past  four (4) months in Australia, closing shop, that is. Border's has closed its business due to slow (or poor) sale. I would like to think that this is due to the influx of electronic gadgets these days and therefore books can be read electronically nowadays. I sincerely hope that this generation doesnt forget the culture of book reading; It is also almost inconcievable to think not having book stores around, as Melbourne is known to be UNESCO City of Literature, mind you. My heart throbs just to think of how stories were woven together to fit a 15x22  500-page binder and how writers are awe-inspiring  as they breathe life into the fictional characters. My eyes well up sometimes on how words were beautifully crafted into proses and phrases. And how stories transport me to places I have never been to and how they leave an indelible effect in me. Call me a nerd or a book worm, if you may, but I simply couldnt imagine a life without books to accompany my idle hours, aside having my little boy and family of course.

Reader's Feast holds a special place in my heart as well; the first cookbook that my little boy has bought for me - Silver spoon (famous italian cookbook translated into English) - was from THAT bookstore. I am a privileged reading programme member as well.  All the books I bought and owned since living in Australia were well and truly from THAT bookstore.

I googled and alas Reader's Feast is going to open its door before the year ends....until that time, I shall remain hopeful.

And so here are some just as awe-inspirng and best selling whoopie pies to cave in for while waiting for the Reader's Feast Bookstore to open its doors for me and while you are held captivated by the words woven in and stories coming to life out of your favorite pocket books;

Chocolate Cake-Cookie Rounds;

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg


Preheat oven to 350°F (180 C or 160 C fan-forced). Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl until combined. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.

Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a handheld, then add egg, beating until combined well. Reduce speed to low and alternately mix in flour mixture and buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with flour, scraping down side of bowl occasionally, and mixing until smooth.

Spoon  mounds of batter (you can use one rounded tablespoon or pipe them on your baking sheet) about 2 inches apart onto 2 buttered large baking sheets. Bake 11 to 13 minutes. Cookies will be done when they spring back when gently touched. Be careful not to over-cook. Transfer with a metal spatula to a rack to cool completely.

For peanut butter filling;
2/3 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softenend
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Beat all ingredients together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...