Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Good reliable SCONES



If you want to have an easy breezy time in the kitchen, at the same time razzle dazzle your friends and loved ones, scones might be the answer for you.

If you want something out of your oven in 20 minutes tops, including preparations then scones are going to be your friend from now on. Dependable and faithful. 

As for the baking process, just sit them closely side by side without any space in between and you'll end up having the best scones in the world. That's not rocket science is it?  :))

I know scones are traditionally eaten during breakfast but it has become very versatile over time - you can have it anytime you want. Usually, scones are served with butter and jam - and washed down by tea with milk like the English do, I like mine, "au naturel" - without anything on it. Either way, its nice and easy.

The recipe is given to me by my Mummy Joan (my gorgeous Mother in law). She showed me how its done the first time. The next thing I knew, I was baking it like a pro. Hmmm, I thought of including in my resume; scones expert. Lol!

I know the recipe like the back of my hand. I can bake this now with my eyes wide shut. So, bake along with me, eyes wide open or eyes closed. Either way. :))

You can also mix any dry fruits you like, for creative purposes. But for me, dates scones are the best. Plain and simple. 



Ingredients:

Makes 12-14 scones

4 cups of Self Raising Flour (SRF)
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of margarine or butter
pinch of salt
1 cup of pitted dates (snip them into bits size)
1 1/2 cups = milk and 1 egg

Preheat your oven at 210C.
Put SRF, sugar, margarine or butter and salt together in a big bowl. Mix them using your finger tips until the mixture becomes grainy like bread crumbs - dry mixture.
Add dates then set aside.
Mix milk and lightly whisked eggs to come up with 1 1/2 cups mixture - wet mixture.
Make a well in the middle of your dry mixture then pour your wet mixture while mixing the dry mixture with the help of a bread knife.
Make a ball dough. The mixture should be wet enough to make a ball dough. If the dough is very dry then just add 1/2 teaspoon of milk and increase the amount, if needed, until you get the right consistency. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface then knead it lightly just to make sure that the ingredients are well combined. Roll out your dough ( I just flatten it using my hands) into a size good enough to make 12-14 scones.
Using a cookie or scone cutter,  cut the dough into 12 -14 pieces.
Put them together closely (no space between them)  on your lightly oiled baking sheet 
Brush lightly the top of scones with milk
Bake them for 12-15 minutes

SECRET NO MORE: I usually bake my scones at 160 degrees (conventional oven) for 15 minutes then increase the temperature to 210C for additional 5 minutes of baking. I found this trick by accident. :)) And I find the scones' texture and browning of their top more consistent.

What ever works for you best. Either way! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...