Thursday, February 10, 2011

Herb, olive and tomato roast chicken

I swear my little boy (lets footnote this now as my darling husband) swears on this beautiful roast chicken dish. I have lost count as to how many times I whipped this dish for our Sunday lunch, when we stay in for ordinary, lazy, slow Sundays . In fact,  I stopped taking photos (of this dish) after the 3rd time (of cooking it). 

My little boy thinks Im very funny, ALL THE TIME I take photos of my  food ALL THE TIME before he can actually dig into the food. I say, "wait baby, picture-picture first".  And so while I shutter my way through the food, my darling little boy is patiently waiting at the corner, hunger pangs gnawing his body and soul LOL! and of course, patronising his gorgeous wife. LOL. Again. 









Ingredients:

2 kg free-range chicken
2 lemons, halved
Sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper to season
100g pitted black olives, rinsed
200g eschalots (or small onions), peeled
6 thyme sprigs, leaves removed
12 garlic cloves, unpeeled
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 200C fan forced (220C conventional)

Rinse chicken cavity and pat dry with paper. Sqeeze juice from 2 lemon halves over each side of chicken, then put lemon in cavity. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.

Combine the olives, tomato, eschalot, thyme, garlic, 2 tablespoons of oil, juice of remaining 2 lemon halves and parsley in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Spoon half the mixture into cavity. Tie legs, together with kitchen string. Put chicken, breast side down, in roasting pan. Spoon remaining olive mixture around chicken and drizzle with remaining oil.

Roast for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over, reduce over temperature to 180C fan-forced (200C conventional) and roast for 1 hour or until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer. Cover chicken loosely with a foil and leave for 20 minutes to rest before carving. I serve it right away because I want the skin crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...