Thursday, February 17, 2011

Stromboli

Or Savoury Roulade






I have lost count of the number of cookbooks I have.  I cut out recipes from newspapers, plastic packages and even from the back of tomato sauce cans. I still do this to this day and age. I also have a moleskine notebook with all my favourite recipes and a tiny notebook with my old recipes and recipes I have memorised from TV cooking shows tucked away somewhere. My beautiful Mom used to do these as well. She was the original sentimental queen. But hey, I am proud to wear on my sleeve and take to heart that I'm a chip off the old block indeed. 


This beautiful, delicious and savoury roulade is lifted from "Mama's Italian Cookbook, Just like mama used to make" cookbook and truly channels the Italian ragazza in me.


Buon appetito!

Makes 1 loaf

675g/1 lb 8 oz strong white flour
2 1/2 tsp easy-blend dried yeast
2 tsp sea salt flakes
3 tbsp olive oil, plus water for greasing
350 ml/ 12 fl oz lukewarm water

Filling

85g/ 3 oz thinly sliced Italian salami
300g/10 1/2 oz diced mozzarella cheese
handful of basil leaves
2 red peppers, roasted, peeled, deseeded and sliced pepper



Combine the flour, yeast and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, then stir in the oil with enough water to make a soft dough.

Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, until doubled in sized (I suggest keep it inside your cooled, dark and lurky (hahaha!) oven).

Knead lightly for 2-3 minutes, until smooth. Cover and leave to stand for a further 10 minutes. Roll out the dough to a rectangle about 38x25 cm/15x10 inches, and 1 cm/1/2 inch thick

Preheat the over to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.

Grease a baking sheet. Spread the salami over the dough and top with the cheese, basil and red peppers. Season with pepper. Roll up firmly from the long side, pinch the ends and put on the prepared baking sheet. Join underneath, cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes

Pierce the roll deeply several times with a skewer. Brush with oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt. Bake in the preheated over for 30-35 minutes, until firm and golden. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve fresh and warm, cut into thick slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...