Monday, February 21, 2011

THOSE French Macarons





I failed at my first attempt, because I over whipped my egg whites. So off my first batch of peach macarons into the rubbish bin. And so I wonder, is it really that difficult? What is it about these french macarons that make lovers love in Paris. What is it about french macarons that embody chichood - for lack of better term -  of the city of light. A lot had been said about macarons, even creating that of long standing rivalry between Laduree and Pierre Herme. I dont know who has the better world view because I haven't tried both. I created my own instead.

Mindful of the warning of no over whipping of egg whites this time, I started anew. Endeavouring on 2nd and 3rd attempts, I came out the better man with my flashy, shiny, gooey and frenchy macarons. And so I hung up my apron and put my mixer to rest for the night, because, I made them well and good.  And so - pardon my french, I whistled my way out of kitchen because I made these bloody good macarons. And so with modesty, I pat my back - I have done good my dear friends and sigh my ineffable relief.


*Snagged from http://www.bisousatoi.com with some tweaks along the way

Ingredients
Swiss Meringue (I know its French Macarons but use the swiss, its the easiest. Hehehe!)
80g egg white (at room temperature)
65g caster sugar

80g ground almond
140g icing sugar
1/2tsp lemon juice
colouring powder (of your choice), you can use concentrate or powder, but don't use the liquid type to avoid runny mixture 

Filling
Chocolate Ganache
100g dark chocolate 
50g whipping cream







Method
Swiss Meringue Macarons:
1. Line 2-3 baking trays with baking sheet  
2. Use a round cookie cutter, press it into some cocoa powder or flour.
3. Use the cookies cutter to make some round imprint on the silicon sheet and set aside.
4. Sift icing sugar and almond together and set aside.
5. Pour sugar and egg white into a heatproof pan and place it over a saucepan of simmering water.
6. Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch (about 50 to 55C).
7. Pour the egg white and lemon juice into the mixing bowl with the whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks then add in the powder colouring.
8. Continue to beat until the egg white has cooled down and it look smooth and shiny. (medium peak but not dry) DO NOT OVER WHIP. 
9. Fold in the sifted mixture in 4 portions into the meringue. Do not over fold batter until it turn watery, batter should be slightly thicker than cake batter.
10.Spoon batter into a piping bag and pipe it within the round imprint which had made earlier on.
11.Let the macarons to rest for at least 30mins. I rested mine for an hour and they came out fine.

12.Preheat oven to 150C.
13.Bake a tray at a time for 20-25mins, depend on individual oven. 
14.Let macarons rest on the tray for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet. Let cool on a wire rack. 

Chocolate Ganache:
1. Heat up the whipping cream.
2. Pour it into the dark chocolate and stir until it melted and smooth (I used toblerone since I have some bars left from my Double Chocolate Bundt Cake)
3. Leave it aside to set. (Slightly thicken for piping.)

1 comment:

  1. meringue is a egg white w/ sugar. remember the icing w/bake that you always buy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...