Monday, February 14, 2011

Sweet buns


These buns remind me of Asian countries for some reason. I have had the opportunity to travel around Asia in the past and I would often see these sweet buns in patisseries. While their buns look more sensational, these buns are otherwise at par in terms of taste, perhaps even better. They are soft, spongy, and sweet (but doesn't seem overwhelming). I actually didn't sweat over them, I was a tad lazy to knead so I used my mixer with a dough hook all the way. 

These buns also remind me of home, perhaps its the whiff of goodness that is hard to come by these days, or the promise of a nice meal ahead (Filipinos looove to eat! and Im no exception; I know my food. I love my food).

I was so chuffed when I was removing the buns from the oven - and with a thought bubble to end my adventure: these buns really made me. I am a baker. Finally. Lol!

Please try this recipe out. It will not disappoint. 



*Adapted from http://wendyinkk.blogspot.com

Ingredients:
500gm bread flour/high protein flour




100gm sugar
50gm milk powder 

11gm yeast (1 sachet)
220ml water
1 big pinch of sugar
1 egg

85gm butter
1/2 tsp salt

1. Proof yeast with water and pinch of sugar until mixture turns frothy.
2. Mix bread flour, sugar and milk powder together. Make a well in the centre.
3. When (1) is ready, beat in 1 egg and pour into (2).
4. Knead dough for 10 minutes (15 by hand) Dough should be smooth by now.
5. Knead in butter and salt. It feels very oily.Continue to knead for another 10 minutes (15 by hand) or until dough is very stretchable.
6. Shape dough into a ball and cover with cling wrap, leaving a small hole by the side. Or you can place it in a pot and cover with a lid.
7. Leave to proof for 45 mins or until almost triple ), or until you can make a dent in the dough that doesn't spring back.
8. Punch down and knead for 1 minute. Divide into desired sizes and shape. Do not put toppings at this stage.
9. After shaping let proof for another hour or until more than double. Brush with egg white. Put on desired topppings.
10. Preheat oven. Bake buns at 160C for 12 minutes, or loaves at 150C for 20 minutes.



Varieties:
- just add moistened raisins to the dough, made into 6 80gm buns and put in a tube pan. Egg white glaze. 
- cheddar and sugar topping. Mix together and drizzle on top 60gm buns
- grated cheddar mixed with some egg and sugar. Spread on top of plaited 60gm buns

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked this recipe and thanks for trying it out :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...