Thursday, February 10, 2011

Strawberry filled forever Angel Cake



I recently celebrated my birthday, two comments struck a cord and had me in stitches. 

"I was thinking of sending you over a cake for your birthday but I don't think you need it" - Yong ( a good friend from high school living in United Arab Emirates)

"Hapi bday Arby! I wonder if you baked your cake! ?? Wish you all the best in life! Miss you! Luv you! - Irene (cousin in law from New York)

I was laughing when I read their messages in Facebook and I guess some people can be so transparent, including me. LOL! 

So yes, I did bake my own birthday cake. Thanks for asking. Tee-hee!







* Recipe adapted from http://www.thegirlwithacurl.com/. 



Angel Food Cake
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
12 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Clean and dry your 10-inch tube pan thoroughly. Oil left on the pan can be disastrous.
Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
In an electric mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, until you get medium-stiff peaks when you lift out your beaters. Add the remaining sugar by the teaspoon until meringue hold stiff peaks. Fold in the sifted ingredients gradually in three batches, folding quickly but gently until there are no more traces of flour. Be careful not to overmix, pour into tube pan.



I have Ate Maya to thank for the recipe by the way - whose famed SleeplessinKL blog I frequent. I was hanging out in her blog, yet again, and I randomly clicked onto Girl With a Curl blogsite - where this recipe hailed. All hell breaks loose...it was fate.  So, thank you http://www.sleeplessinkl.com/ and http://www.thegirlwithacurl.com/.   You may not know this but you made my birthday strawberry filled forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...